Mobile Dental Program
In the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), tooth pain is the number one reason children miss school. Since 2001, QueensCare has collaborated with the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC and LAUSD to provide free dental care to low-income K-6 graders in the public schools and qualifying Catholic elementary schools.
- The program operates with 4 vans, each with three fully equipped operating units. They work in sets of two vans, visiting schools for several months at a time before moving to the next school.
- Under contract with QueensCare, the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC staffs the program with Pediatric faculty dentists and senior dental students.
- Dental cleanings and teeth sealing are provided for each second and third grade student. Fillings, root canals, and more services are provided as needed – all at no cost to the student or their family.
- In addition, the staff provides dental hygiene education to all students at the schools they visit.
- Every two years the vans return to care for the K-6 grade classes.
- Schools selected have 75% or more of the students that qualify for the federal free or reduced lunch program.
The Mobile Dental Program serves approximately 2,000 students at 16 elementary schools in a year. Over 26,000 procedures are performed, and about 8,000 dental hygiene kits are given to students.
Current Mobile Dental LocationsIf your child attends the schools listed below and you wish to have them participate in the Mobile Dental Program, please print and complete the following forms:
Mobile Dental Forms - English
Mobile Dental Forms - Spanish
Plasencia Elementary School
1321 Cortez St.
Los Angeles, CA 90026
215 S. Commonwealth Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Collaborators and Funders
The following groups collaborate with, or have provided funding for the Mobile Dental Program:
- Ahmanson Foundation
- Change A Life Foundation
- Everychild Foundation
- St. Joseph’s Health Support Alliance
- Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC
- W.M. Keck Foundation
- Weingart Foundation
- Hollywood Los-Feliz Kiwanis club